May 11, 2018
My family has been making succotash for generations. We make it the old-fashioned way, not by opening cans.
This is our recipe:
1. 4 slices of thick bacon (diced) or a good sized piece of salt pork (diced)
2. 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
Bring meat and onion to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for about 20 minutes
3. Add 2 cups of beans (we use French horticulture in the green stage, before they dry)
Simmer until beans are falling apart
4. Add 4 cups of fresh sweet corn that has been cut off the cob. Do not forget to scrape the cob after removing the kernels. Lots of flavor there!
5. Simmer until thickened. Then remove from stove and cool slightly before adding 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir well.
This was my fathers favorite dish!